With technological changes happening daily, there is no wonder that new and more innovative apps are developed constantly. New and innovative ideas for online applications are created to make our lives easier. There are apps for banking, meeting people, and now an app for online student portfolios. These online portfolios are secure and promote parent, teacher, and student participation. This is a great way to keep parents informed and involved in the success of their child’s educational health. It is also a great way for teachers to communicate with parents using a secure platform.
These classroom communication apps are becoming a welcoming favorite among parents and teachers. There are more than one type of classroom communication app available, so it is best to research and see what qualities stand out for each app. You should look for several things in selecting an online student portfolio, such as:
- Accessibility – Students, teachers, and parents need to have the ability to access the app from anywhere not just from the school grounds or facility.
- Import/Export Capability – Students and parents should be able to continue to access the app even after the student graduates. How nice it would be to have an app that can export information.
- File Support – A good classroom communication app will have the ability to support any file format. This will make it easier for upload or export information in any file format.
- Storage – What are some of the storage limitations, if any, of the application.
- Security – This should be number one on the list of things to look for in an online classroom communication app. The information entered into the system is sensitive, a tight security check point within software is a must.
These are just a few things to consider when looking into a student portfolio application. For additional tips and things to look for in an online classroom communication app visit here. This article gives a personal view of an IT Director for a school district and his search for a classroom communication app.
Another great point with using an online classroom communication application, is the overall positive environment created with students, teachers, and parents. The online app gives teachers an opportunity to foster a successful relationship with their students. Teachers can give positive feedback in regard to the student’s classwork and behavior. In addition, teachers can correct and make necessary changes if warranted, without embarrassing the student. Since the app is secure, no one has access to the student’s information but the administrator, teacher, parent, and the student.
Last, but not least, having an online student portfolio gives students a chance to share ideas, classwork successes, and more. Students and parents can promote positive examples of educational success with pictures and/or videos. Teachers can communicate with parents regarding classroom or homework assignments, upcoming field trips, or any correspondence of importance. As you can see an online portfolio has potential in being the new and innovative way for students and parents to keep up with detailed scholastic records. But first, do the research and see what all classroom communication applications have to offer before creating an online student portfolio.